Livie, Wills and I attended our first Baby & Me class today. Xilon is flying all day today to and from Tucson, so my mom joined us for the 75-minute session, during which we sang, clapped, lifted babies in the air, shimmied, laughed and asked questions. I hope that Grandma and Grandpa Cunningham can come to the class next week while they are in town for Easter and the baptism.
Sitting on the floor of the elementary school classroom this afternoon brought me back to my own school days ... to things like art projects, hallway chatter, spelling bees, chalk and erasers, recess, plaid uniforms. There are so many neat experiences in store for the babes, in and out of school! They each took a snooze at some point during today's class, but their eyes sparkled at other times as they heard new songs and saw new people.
Liv and Wills both chattered a bit with my mom after class. It is so amazing to see them become more vocal. They have things to say -- imagine what it will be like when they know words!
One week after graduating from her harness (for mild hip dysplasia), Livie is kicking and happy. Her only reminder of the seven weeks she spent 'trussed up' will be a few photos I took on her last visit to see Dr. Quanbeck at Gillette Children's Specialty Hospital. Each week at Gillette, we saw many children who may have lifelong physical struggles. As these kids waited for their appointments, they played air hockey, tumbled on mats, counted fish in the tank, and sometimes came by to meet my little baby (or babies, when Will joined us). I could tell that their parents focused much more on what they could do than what they couldn't. I hope that Xilon and I will always do the same for our children.

No comments:
Post a Comment